How it works
About this service
Hand Arm Vibration
Hand-arm vibration (HAV) poses a significant occupational hazard. This is because It can cause a range of health issues for workers who regularly use hand held power tools and equipment. This problem occurs when hand held power tools, such as drills, grinders, chainsaws, and pneumatic hammers, generate mechanical vibrations. These expose the hands and arms to continuous shaking. Although these tools have revolutionized various industries, their constant use of vibrations can result in a series of health complications. These are collectively known as Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS). This page looks at the causes, risks, and preventive measures associated with HAV, shedding light on the importance of safeguarding the well-being of workers.
Causes of Hand Arm Vibration
Mechanical vibrations from powered tools transmit hand arm vibration. These vibrations can originate from various sources, such as the rapid rotation of cutting blades, the impact of pneumatic tools, and the oscillation of drills and grinders. Prolonged exposure to these vibrations can lead to HAVS, a condition that affects not only the vascular and musculoskeletal systems but also the nervous system.
Risks and Health Implications
Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome includes a range of symptoms and conditions. These include Vibration White Finger (VWF), which reduces blood flow in the fingers, and as a result causes them to turn white and numb. Other symptoms include tingling, pain, and loss of dexterity. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can also develop due to the compression of the median nerve at the wrist. The nervous system can be affected as well, which results in a loss of sensation, muscle weakness, and pain. These health issues can significantly impact a worker’s quality of life, their ability to perform tasks, and in severe cases, even lead to permanent disability.
8 Ways to Safeguard Employees Against Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome.
To safeguard workers from the risks associated with hand arm vibration, both employers and employees need to prioritize preventive measures. Here are some key steps to consider:
- Tool Selection: Choose tools with lower vibration levels whenever possible. Modern tools often come with vibration-damping features that can significantly reduce exposure.
- Maintenance: Regularly maintain and service tools to ensure they function at their best and therefore produce minimal vibrations. Worn-out components can also worsen vibration levels.
- Work Practices: Encourage workers to adopt safe work practices. Limit exposure to vibrating tools by implementing work rotation and rest breaks.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Provide appropriate PPE, such as anti vibration gloves, to minimize the transmission of vibrations to the hands and arms.
- Training: Educate workers about the risks of HAV and the importance of using tools correctly. Proper grip, posture, and technique can reduce the impact of vibrations.
- Work Environment: Design workspaces to minimize vibrations. Mount tools on vibration absorbing surfaces and use vibration isolating handles.
- Health Monitoring: Implement regular health check-ups for workers exposed to HAV to detect early signs of HAVS. Early intervention can prevent further complications.
- Regulations and Standards: Stay updated with local regulations and international standards related to HAV exposure. Compliance with these guidelines is crucial for ensuring a safe work environment.
Legal Requirements for Hand Arm Vibration
The Control of Vibration at Work Regulations 2005 aims to protect workers from health risks due to vibration. Employers must assess the risks to their employees from vibration at work and take action to reduce the exposure that produces those risks. Moreover, the regulations set a daily action value of 2.5 ms-2. Employers must act to control exposure and reduce risk if this value is exceeded. The Regulations also set a maximum daily limit value for workers of 5 ms-2. Employers must ensure that they don’t exceed this limit.
Hand arm vibration is a workplace hazard that requires attention and proactive measures to protect the well-being of workers. By understanding the causes, risks, and preventive measures associated with HAV, employers can create a safer work environment, and workers can take necessary precautions to minimize their exposure. Through a combination of proper tool selection, maintenance, work practices, and education, the negative impacts of hand arm vibration can be mitigated, ensuring a healthier workforce and enhanced productivity across industries.
The Hand Arm Vibration Assessment
- Identify Exposure Tasks: The first step involves identifying tasks or job roles where workers face hand arm vibration exposure. This includes workers regularly using hand held power tools like drills, grinders, chainsaws, pneumatic hammers, and more.
- Select Appropriate Tools: Determine which tools workers most commonly use for the identified tasks. It’s crucial to select tools with lower vibration levels when possible, as modern tools often feature vibration damping capabilities.
- Data Collection: During the assessment, professionals take measurements from the handle of the vibrating tool or from the workpiece itself. These measurements, typically expressed in meters per second squared (ms–²), provide data on the magnitude of vibration.
- Calculate Contact Time: In addition to measuring vibration levels, assess the contact time or trigger time. This entails measuring the duration during which workers are exposed to the recorded vibration in their tasks.
- Calculate Total Exposure: Utilize the collected data, encompassing vibration magnitude and contact time, to calculate a three axis value representing the worker’s total hand arm vibration exposure. This value is often expressed in points, with established criteria to evaluate exposure.
- Compare to Regulatory Limits: Compare the calculated exposure value to regulatory limits stipulated by local regulations and international standards. For instance, The Control of Vibration at Work Regulations 2005 in the UK defines action and limit values for exposure. The vibration magnitudes are converted to points and added together to give a total. Synergy then compares these totals to the exposure action value of 100 points and the exposure limit value of 400 points.
- Implement Control Measures: If the assessment indicates that exposure levels exceed regulatory limits, employers must take action to control and reduce the risk. This may include altering work practices, selecting tools with lower vibration, providing personal protective equipment (PPE), and introducing safety measures.
- Regular Monitoring: Conducting Hand-Arm Vibration Assessments should not be a one time endeavour. Regular monitoring and subsequent assessments are vital to ensure that exposure remains within acceptable limits and that the control measures put in place are effective.
Synergy Environmental Solutions unlocks the power of safety!
At Synergy Environmental Solutions, we actively partner with you in workplace safety. We grasp the critical significance of safeguarding your workforce’s health and well-being, which drives our unwavering commitment to providing top-notch Hand-Arm Vibration Assessments. When considering why Synergy stands out as the ideal choice for these assessments, consider the following key reasons:
Our team of experienced professionals, notably health and safety experts, brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to each Hand-Arm Vibration Assessment. As a result, you can confidently rely on us to consistently deliver assessments that are comprehensive, accurate, and fully compliant with all relevant regulations.
We leverage state-of-the-art technology and tools to expertly execute assessments. Furthermore, our equipment undergoes meticulous calibration, ensuring precise measurements. By choosing Synergy, you make a strategic investment in the latest advancements in safety assessment.
We recognize the uniqueness of every workplace, and in doing so, acknowledge that a one-size-fits-all approach simply doesn’t suffice. Therefore, our Hand-Arm Vibration Assessments are thoughtfully tailored to your organization’s specific needs and challenges. We work closely with you to collaboratively design a program perfectly aligned with your industry, tools, and work practices.
In the realm of workplace safety, compliance with local and international regulations is non-negotiable. Furthermore, Synergy boasts extensive expertise in these regulations, ensuring that your Hand Arm Vibration Assessments not only meet but consistently surpass the necessary standards.
Our assessments transcend the mere measurement of vibrations; they provide you with invaluable, actionable insights. Additionally, we meticulously prepare and furnish you with clear, comprehensive reports, empowering you to make informed decisions regarding reducing exposure and safeguarding your employees’ well-being.
Preventing Health Risks:
Hand Arm Vibration can result in a spectrum of health issues, ranging from Vibration White Finger to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and beyond. By choosing Synergy, you are proactively taking steps to prevent these health risks and fortify your workforce against the potentially devastating effects of Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome.
Investing in Your Workforce
Your employees represent your most valuable assets. By opting for Synergy for Hand Arm Vibration Assessments, you are making a direct investment in their health and productivity. Moreover, by ensuring their safety, you foster a workplace environment where they can not only thrive but also contribute their very best.
Don’t Compromise on Safety
Opt for Synergy Environmental Solutions for Hand-Arm Vibration Assessments, and decisively take action to secure your workforce’s well-being. Reach out to us today to explore our services further and discover how we can tailor a safety program that aligns perfectly with your unique needs. Together, let’s collaboratively create a workplace that is not only safer but also healthier and more productive.
Further Information is available below
Workplace Air Monitoring
COSHH Regulation 9
Breathing Air Testing
Face Fit Testing
Workplace Noise Monitoring
Hand Arm Vibration
Whole Body Vibration
Get in touch
Synergy Environmental Solutions provide
sampling and consultancy services
throughout the UK and Ireland
We’re happy to answer any questions you have,
or provide you with an obligation
free estimate for work.
Just send us a message!